Yoga for Seniors
Yoga can improve the lives of people of all ages in a variety of ways, including improved mobility, strength and stability. Yoga will improving our sense of well-being by reducing stress and anxiety and and making us feel lighter, more connected to ourselves and others.
Its multi-pronged approach can encourage the body, mind and spirit to remain healthy and strong while reducing the effects of many age-related issues.
As we get older, our muscles and connective tissues tend to stiffen, our joints lose their range of motion and we become more susceptible to chronic problems such as osteoporosis and arthritis. Yoga can help slow down the effects of the ageing process by maintaining muscle strength and flexibility, keeping the mind alert and awake, encouraging relaxation.
If you are a senior, regular yoga practicecan play an important part in keeping you healthy, because yoga helps:
- Reduce swelling in joints
- Increase joint mobility and strength
- Improve balance and stability
- Reduce chances of having a fall
- Improve cardiovascular health
- Aid digestion and elimination
- Improve sleep
- Lower blood pressure and cholesterol
- Improve blood flow
- Improve mood and well-being
- Recovery from surgery
- Aid in the grieving process
- With depression and anxiety